Patents, Projects and Publications
- International Patent Application No. PCT/US2011/039187 (2011) “Combination Scaffolds and Thrombopoietn Useful for Inducing Bone Growth” Melissa Kacena and Tien-Min Gabriel Chu
- US Patent 7,087,200 (2007) “Controlled local/global and micro/macro-porous 3D plastic, polymer and ceramic/cement composite scaffold fabrication and applications thereof” Taboas, Juan M; Maddox, Rachel D.; Krebsbach, Paul H.; Hollister, Scott J.; Chu, Tien-Min Gabriel
- US Patent 7,174,282 (2006) “Design methodology for tissue engineering scaffolds and biomaterial implants” Hollister, Scott J.; Chu, Gabriel Tien-Min; Taboas, Juan M
- US Patent 6,117,612 (2000) “StereoLithography Resin for Rapid Prototyping of Ceramics and Metals” M.L. Griffith, M.L., Halloran, J.W., and Chu, T.M.
GRANTS AND CONTRACTS
- Thrombopoietin: A novel regulator of bone healing (co-investigator), Melissa Kacena, PI. Total amount $1,925,000, NIH R01 AR060863-01, 4/1/12-3/31/17.
- Efficacy and Dose Evaluation of TPO in Healing a Long Bone Segmental Defect (Principal Investigator) Two year post-doc support, IUSD Post-Doc Award, 10/1/11-2/28/14.
- Stem-Cell Loaded 3D Scaffolds for Craniofacial Bone Repair (Principal Investigator) $75,000, Oral Maxillofacial Surgery Foundation, 1/1/11-12/31/12.
- Comparison of global gene expression on regenerated new bone between androgen receptor knockout (ARKO) mice and normal mice (Principal Investigator) $5,000, IUPUI International Development Fund, 1/1/11-12/31/11.
- Biologically Active Functionally Graded Periodontal Membranes,(Co-investigator) Marco Bottino, PI. $35,000, IUPUI Research Support Fund Grant, 1/1/11-12/31/11.
- Artificial Tissue Matrices for Bone Repair (Principal Investigator) $40,000, MO-SCI Corp. Subcontract to DOD-SBIR N102-179-0359, 1/1/11-9/30/11.
- Comparison of global gene expression and the pathway analysis on regenerative new bone using patterned scaffold-BMP-treatment after traumatic bone defect between androgen receptor knockout (ARKO) mice and normal mice (co-investigator) Bi-Hua Cheng, PI. Total amount $40,000, CG Memorial Hospital Taiwan, 11/1/10-10/31/13.
- The Effect of Niobium Oxide Coating on the in Vivo Performance of Commercial Sandblasted Dental Implants (Principal Investigator) $25,000, Indiana Nanotech LLC, 7/15/10-3/31/11.
- Indiana Center for Translational Musculoskeletal Research (Core Faculty), S. Warden: PI. Total Amount: $300,000, IUPUI Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research, 7/1/2010-6/30/2013.
- Tunable Hybrid Collagen-Dicalcium Phosphate Dihydrate Scaffolds for Improved Craniofacial Bone Repair (co-PI with S. Harbin), Total amount: $75,000, Indiana CTSI, 6/1/2010-5/31/2012.
- Efficacy and Dose Evaluation of TPO in Healing a Long Bone Segmental Defect (co-PI with M. Kacena), Total amount: $75,000, Indiana CTSI, 6/1/2010-5/31/2012.
- The effect of microcone density on the in vivo performance of niobium oxide (Principal Investigator) $32,898, Indiana Nanotech Subcontract to NIH R43 DE19034-01, 2009-2010.
- Bisphosphonate-related osteonecrosis of the jaw: Bridging the clinical-preclinical gap (co-investigator) M. Allen: PI, Total amount: $423,029, NIH R21 DE019686, 2009-2011.
- Improving healing of segmental defects (collaborator) S. Gilbert: PI, Total amount: $60,000, Alabama Children’s Hospital Foundation, 2009-2011.
PEER REVIEWED PUBLICATIONS
- Daniel Alge, Scott Goebel, and Tien-Min G. Chu “Effects of DCPD Cement Chemistry on Degradation Properties and Cytocompatibility: Comparison of MCPM/β-TCP and MCPM/HA Formulations” Biomedical Materials 2013; 8: 025010
- G. Yassen, T.G. Chu, G. Eckert, J. Platt “The effect of medicaments used in pulp regeneration technique on chemical structure of human immature radicular dentin: an in vitro study” Journal of Endodontics 2013; 39(2):269-273
- M. Mansour, W. Wagner, and T. G. Chu, “Effect of mica on mechanical properties of polymethyl methacrylate denture base material”Journal of Prosthodontics 2013; 22:179-183
- M. C. Bottino, V. Thomas, G. Schmidt, Y. Vohra, T. G. Chu, M. J. Kowolik, G. M. Janowski “Recent advances in the development of GTR/GBR membranes for periodontal regeneration – A materials perspective” Dental Materials 2012, 28: 703-721
- AC Mackey, RL Karlinsey, Tien-Mien Gabriel Chu, Daniel Alge, Meoghan MacPherson “Development of Niobium Oxide Coatings on Sand-Blasted Titanium Alloy Dental Implants” Journal of Materials Science 2012, 3: 301-305
- D. Alge, J. Bennett, T. Treasure, S. Voytik-Harbin, W.S. Goebel, and T. G. Chu “Poly(propylene fumarate) reinforced dicalcium phosphate dehydrate cement composites for bone tissue engineering” Journal of Biomedical Material Research Part A 2012, 100A, 1792-1802 [NIHMSID 362562]
- Daniel Alge, Scott Goebel, and Tien-Min G. Chu “In vitro degradation of DCPD cements prepared using the MCPM/HA system reveals rapid conversion to HA as a key mechanism” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part B 2012, 100(3), 595-602
- Grace Santa Cruz Chavez, Daniel L. Alge, and Tien-Min G. Chu, “Additive concentration effects on dicalcium phosphate dihydrate cements prepared using monocalcium phosphate monohydrate and hydroxyapatite” Biomedical Materials 2011, 6, 065007
- Rena Stewart, Jessica Goldstein, Alan Eberhardt, Tien-Min Gabriel Chu, Shawn Gilbert, “Increasing Vascularity to Improve Healing of a Segmental Defect of the Rat Femur” Journal of Orthopedic Trauma 2011; 25(8), 472-476
- Eman Allam, Matthew R. Allen, Tien-Min Chu, Ahmed Ghoneima, and L.Jack Windsor, “In vivo effects of zoledronic acid on oral mucosal epithelial cells proliferation, apoptosis, and matrix metalloproteinase expression” Oral Diseases 2011; 17:291-297
- D. Shin, S. Blanchard, M. Ito, and T. Chu, “Peripheral Quantitative Computer Tomographic, Histomorphometric, and Removal Torque Analyses of Two Different Noncoated Implants in a Rabbit Model” Clinical Oral Implant Research 2011; 22:242-250
- Matthew R. Allen, Daniel J. Kubek, David B. Burr, Salvatore L. Ruggiero, and Tien-Min G. Chu, “Exposed Bone and Compromised Healing following Dental Extraction in Dogs Treated with Zoledronic Acid” Osteoporosis International 2011; 22:693-702