Phone (317) 274-8822
Fax (317) 274-5425
Indiana University School of Dentistry
Oral Health Research Institute
415 Lansing St., Indianapolis, IN 46202-2876
E. Angeles Martínez Mier, DDS, MSD, PhD is an Associate Professor (tenured) in the Department of Preventive and Community Dentistry at Indiana University School of Dentistry. She serves as director of the Fluoride research program and the Division of Community Dentistry within her department and the Binational/Cross-Cultural Health Enhancement Center. Dr. Martínez Mier previously held the positions of Preventive Dentistry Department Chair and Coordinator of undergraduate periodontics at the Universidad Intercontinental in Mexico City, Mexico. After receiving her dental degree from the Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico, in Mexico City, Mexico, in 1989, Dr. Martínez Mier completed a Masters of Science in Dentistry, majoring in Preventive Dentistry at Indiana University School of Dentistry, in 1994; and a three-year clinical fellowship in Periodontics, also at the Indiana University School of Dentistry in 1995. She then obtained a PhD in Dental Sciences in 2000 from Indiana University. Dr. Martínez is the past president of the Indiana Chapter of the Hispanic Dental Association and is a member of the International Association of Dental Research, the American Dental Education Association, the American Association of Public Health Dentistry and the European Organization for Caries Research.
- Martínez-Mier EA. Fluoride: Its Metabolism, Toxicity, and Role in Dental Health. J Evid-Based Comp Alt Med 2012 17: 28-32.
- Soto-Rojas AE, Escoffié-Ramírez M, Pérez-Ferrera G, Guido JA, Mantilla-Rodriguez AA, Martinez-Mier EA. Retention of dental sealants placed on sound teeth and incipient caries lesions as part of a service-learning programme in rural areas in Mexico. Int J Paediatr Dent. 2012 Feb 6 [Epub ahead of print]
- Casanova-Rosado AJ, Medina-Solís CE, Casanova-Rosado JF, Vallejos-Sánchez AA, Martinez-Mier EA, Loyola-Rodríguez JP, Islas-Márquez AJ, Maupomé G. Association between developmental enamel defects in the primary and permanent dentitions. Eur J Paediatr Dent. 2011 Sep;12(3):155-8.
- Martinez-Mier EA. Fluoride-containing orthodontic adhesives may reduce the occurrence of enamel demineralization in patients with fixed orthodontic appliances. J Evid Based Dent Pract. 2011 Sep;11(3):132-4.
- Guido JA, Martinez Mier EA, Soto A, Eggertsson H, Sanders BJ, Jones JE, Weddell JA, Villanueva Cruz I, Anton de la Concha JL. Caries prevalence and its association with brushing habits, water availability, and the intake of sugared beverages. Int J Paediatr Dent 2011; 21: 432– 440
- Yan D, Willett TL, Gu X, Martinez-Mier EA, Sardone L, McShane L, Grynpas M, Everett ET. Phenotypic Variation of Fluoride Responses between Inbred Strains of Mice. Cells Tissues Organs. 2011 May 9. [Epub ahead of print]
- Steinmetz JE, Martinez-Mier EA, Jones JE, Sanders BJ, Weddell JA, Soto-Rojas AE, Tomlin AM, Eckert GJ. Fluoride content of water used to reconstitute infant formula. Clin Pediatr (Phila). 2011 Feb;50(2):100-5.
- Martinez-Mier EA, Cury JA, Heilman JR, Katz BP, Levy SM, Li Y, Maguire A, Margineda J, O’Mullane D, Phantumvanit P, Soto-Rojas AE, Stookey GK, Villa A., Wefel JS, Whelton H, Whitford GM, Zero DT, Zhang W, Zohouri V. Development of gold standard ion-selective electrode-based methods for fluoride analysis. Caries Res. 2010 Dec 11;45(1):3-12.
- Martinez-Mier EA, Cury JA, Heilman JR, Katz BP, Levy SM, Li Y, Maguire A, Margineda J, O’Mullane D, Phantumvanit P, Soto-Rojas AE, Stookey GK, Villa A., Wefel JS, Whelton H, Whitford GM, Zero DT, Zhang W, Zohouri V. Development of gold standard ion-selective electrode-based methods for fluoride analysis- Online Supplement. Caries Res. 2010 Dec 11;45(1 Sup):1-13.
- Martinez-Mier EA. Casein phosphopeptide used in toothpaste suggests an efficacy similar to toothpaste containing sodium monofluorophosphate for caries prevention. J Evid Based Dent Pract. 2010 Sep;10(3):154-5.
- Martinez-Mier EA, Soto-Rojas AE. Differences in exposure and biological markers of fluoride among White and African American children. J Public Health Dent. 2010 Summer;70(3):234-40.
- Zero DT, Creeth JE, Bosma ML, Butler A, Guibert RG, Karwal R, Lynch RJ, Martinez-Mier EA, González-Cabezas C, Kelly SA. The effect of brushing time and dentifrice quantity on fluoride delivery in vivo and enamel surface microhardness in situ. Caries Res. 2010;44(2):90-100.
- Martínez-Mier EA, Soto-Rojas AE, Margineda J, Zero DT (2009). Evaluation of the direct and diffusion methods for the determination of fluoride content in table salt. Community Dent Health. Dec;26(4):204-10.
- Zero DT, Fontana M, Martinez-Mier EA, Ferreira-Zandoná A, Ando M, González-Cabezas C, Bayne S. The biology, prevention, diagnosis and treatment of dental caries: scientific advances in the United States. J Am Dent Assoc. 2009 Sep;140 Suppl 1:25S-34S.
- Soto-Rojas AE, Martinez-Mier EA. Conceptual and analytic issues surrounding a report on domestic salt fluoridation in Mexico. J Public Health Dent. 2009 Spring;69(2):63.
- Pereira AC, Eggertsson H, Martinez-Mier EA, Mialhe FL, Eckert GJ, Zero DT. Validity of caries detection on occlusal surfaces and treatment decisions basedon results from multiple caries-detection methods. Eur J Oral Sci. 2009 Feb;117(1):51-7.
- Martinez-Mier EA, Kelly SA, Eckert GJ, Jackson RD. Comparison of a dietary survey and the duplicate plate method for determining dietary fluoride ingested by young children: a pilot study. Int J Paediatr Dent. 2009 Mar;19(2):99-107.
- Martinez-Mier EA. Fluoride varnish applications may reduce the formation of white spot lesions (WSL) adjacent to orthodontic fixed appliances. J Evid Based Dent Pract. 2009 Mar;9(1):16-7. PubMed PMID: 19269609.
- Everett ET, Yan D, Weaver M, Liu L, Foroud T, Martinez-Mier EA. Detection of Dental Fluorosis-Associated Quantitative Trait Loci on Mouse Chromosomes 2 and 11. Cells Tissues Organs. 2008 Aug 14. [Epub ahead of print]
- Cook SL, Martinez-Mier EA, Dean JA, Weddell JA, Sanders BJ, Eggertsson H, Ofner S, Yoder KM. Dental Caries Experience and Association to Risk Indicators of Remote Rural Populations. Int J Paediatr Dent. 2008 Jul;18(4):275-83.
- Soto-Rojas AE, Martínez-Mier EA, Ureña-Cirett JL, Jackson RD, Stookey GK. Development of a Standardization Device for Photographic Assessment of Dental Fluorosis in Field Studies Oral Health Prev Dent. 2008;6(1):29-36.
- Maupome G, Soto-Rojas AE, Irigoyen-Camacho ME, Martinez-Mier EA, Borges-Yanez SA. Prevención De La Caries: Recomendaciones Actualizadas y Estatus del Conocimiento Directamente Aplicable Al Entorno Mexicano. [Caries Prevention: Current Recommendations and State Of The Art of the Knowledge Directly Relevant To The Mexican Setting] Revista ADM 2007; 64 (2): 68-79
- Maupome G, Soto-Rojas AE, Borges-Yanez SA, Irigoyen-Camacho ME, Martinez-Mier EA. Prevención En Salud Periodontal: Recomendaciones Actualizadas y Estatus del Conocimiento Directamente Aplicable al Entorno Mexicano. [Periodontal Disease Prevention: Current Recommendations and State of The Art of the Knowledge Directly relevant to the Mexican Setting] Revista ADM 2007; 64 (1): 25-33
- Kubota K, Lee DH, Everett ET, Martinez-Mier EA, Snead ML, Nguyen L, Urano F, Bartlett JD. Fluoride Induces ER Stress in Ameloblast Cells that are Responsible for Dental Enamel Formation. J Biol Chem. 2005:Jun 17;280(24):23194-202.
- Martínez-Mier EA, Soto-Rojas AE, Buckley CM, Margineda J, Zero DT. Fluoride Concentration of Bottled Water, Tap Water, and Fluoridated Salt from Two Communities in Mexico. Int Dent J. 2005 Apr;55(2):93-9.
- Franco AM, Martignon S, Saldarriaga A, González MC, Arbeláez MI, Ocampo A, Luna LM, Martínez-Mier EA, Villa AE. Total Fluoride Intake in 22-35 Months Old Children in Four Colombian Cities. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 2005;33:1-8
- Martínez-Mier EA; Maupomé G, Soto-Rojas AE, Ureña-Cirett JL; Katz B, Stookey GK: Development of a questionnaire to measure perceptions of, and concerns derived from, dental fluorosis. Community Dent Health 2004;21(3):299-305.
- Martínez-Mier EA, Soto-Rojas AE, Buckley CM, Margineda J, Stookey GK, Zero DT. Evaluation of Fluoride Content in Mexican Salt Salud Publica 2004;46(3):197-198.
- Martínez-Mier, EA; Soto-Rojas, AE; Urena-Cirett, JL; Katz, BJ; Stookey, GK; Dunipace, AJ: Dental Fluorosis and Altitude: a Pilot Study (2004). Oral Health Prev Dent 2(1):39-48.
- Soto-Rojas, AE; Martínez-Mier, EA; Ureña-Cirett, JL. Prevalence of Dental Fluorosis in Mexico (2004). Pan Am J Pub Health 15(1):9-18.
- Eggertsson H, Ferreira-Zandoná AG, Ando M, González-Cabezas C, Fontana M, Martínez-Mier EA, Waskow-Chin JR, Jackson RD, Eckert GJ, Stookey GK, Zero DT: Reproducibility of in vitro and clinical examinations with QLF (Quantitative Light-induced Fluorescence). Developing guidelines for imaging and analyzing QLF- images, and a process for training examiners. In: Stookey GK, ed. Early detection of dental caries III: proceedings of the 6th annual Indiana Conference. Indianapolis, Indiana: Indiana University School of Dentistry 2003:213-228.
- Martínez-Mier EA, Soto-Rojas AE, Ureña-Cirett JL, Stookey GK, Dunipace AJ. Fluoride Intake from Foods, Beverages and dentifrice by Children in Mexico. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol. 2003Jun;31(3):221-30.
- Everett ET, McHenry MAK, Reynolds N, Eggertsson H, Sullivan J, Kantmann C, Martinez-Mier EA, Warrick JM, Stookey GK (2002): Dental Fluorosis: Variability Among Different Inbred Mouse Strains. J Dental Research 81:794-98.
- Martínez Mier G, Álvarez Tostado JF, Romero Hernández T, Martínez-Mier EA. Blanco Benavides R. (1999): La morbi-mortalidad en la cirugía por cáncer gástrico. Rev Gastrol Mex. 78:349-35.
Dr. Martínez Mier's research has been funded by grants from the National institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research, Clarian Health, Delta Dental Insurance, the Borrow Foundation and the West Foundation. Her research projects have received multiple awards. Her research interests are mainly in two areas: fluorides and cross-cultural health. In the area of fluorides, she is particularly interested in refining analytical methodologies to accurately determine fluoride presence and in the role of fluoride in the onset and progression of demineralization and remineralization. She is also interested in developing methodologies to diagnose dental fluorosis through clinical, photographic and digital imaging evaluations, including dental fluorosis and incipient caries differential diagnosis and in better defining the mechanisms by which fluoride affects the development of dental and skeletal fluorosis, including genetic and environmental factors. Dr. Martínez Mier is engaged in community-based research in the area of cross-cultural and binational (US and Mexico) health designed to address and identify disparities in dental caries and dental fluorosis in Latino/Hispanic patients.
Dr. Martínez Mier’s professional service activities are an integral part of her career. She has constantly sought to develop academic work that simultaneously meets her educational and research goals as well as community needs. She has been a mentor and health care provider in service-learning projects since 2001. Her service activities clearly overlap with her teaching responsibilities. She has obtained numerous service-learning grants to fund both the service and educational components of her projects and along with teams of faculty members and students she actively seeks donations and major gifts for her service-learning projects.