Oral-Systemic Inflammation Risk
Epidemiological studies have demonstrated a positive statistical association between oral infections and systemic inflammatory diseases such as cardiovascular disease.
To link risk for systemic inflammation to total dental plaque mass and genetic predisposition.
- Establish the link between total dental plaque mass and risk for systemic infection and inflammation at the molecular and genetic level.
- Identify a population at increased risk for oral-associated systemic inflammation and design proper intervention strategies.
- Dental plaque and associated inflammation in canine periodontal disease (2012-2013)
- Periodontitis and bacterial translocation in HIV (2011-2012)
- Dental plaque as a risk factor in CHD (2004-2008)
- Impact of race and gender on oral-systemic disease risk
- The dog as a model for oral-systemic disease research
- Dental plaque-associated systemic inflammation in Hispanic and Caucasian gingivitis patients
Wahaidi VY, Eckert GJ, Gregory RL, Kowolik MJ, and Galli DM. 2012. The in-vitro response of human peripheral blood neutrophils to Fusobacterium nucleatum. International Journal of Clinical Dentistry 36(1), accepted
Wahaidi VY, Kowolik MJ, Eckert GJ, Galli DM 2011 Endotoxemia and the host systemic response during experimental gingivitis. Journal of Clinical Periodontology 38(5): 412-417.
Glickman LT, Glickman NW, Moore GE, Lund EM, Lantz GC, and Pressler BM. 2011. Association between chronic azotemic kidney disease and the severity of periodontal disease in dogs. Preventive Veterinary Medicine 99:193-200.
Wahaidi VY, Dowsett SA, Eckert GJ, Kowolik MJ 2009 Neutrophil Response to Dental Plaque by Gender and Race. Journal of Dental Research 88: 709-714.
Permpanich P, Kowolik MJ, and Galli DM. 2006. Resistance of fluorescent-labeled Actinobacillus actinomycetemcomitans strains to phagocytosis and killing by human neutrophils. Cellular Microbiology 8(1):72-84.
Kowolik MJ and Dowsett SA. 2005 Leukocyte response to dental plaque accumulation: A risk factor for Heart Disease? Archives of Internal Medicine 165: 1795-1796.
Dowsett SA, Kowolik MJ. 2003. Oral Helicobacter pylori: Can we stomach it? 2003 Critical Reviews in Oral Biology and Medicine 14:226-233.
Kowolik MJ, Dowsett SA, Rodriguez J, De La Rosa M and Eckert GJ. 2001. Systemic neutrophil response resulting from dental plaque accumulation. Journal of Periodontology 72: 146-151.