Office for Civic Engagement
IUSD’s Office for Civic Engagement serves as IUSD’s liaison among faculty, students, the dental profession, policymakers and community agencies/institutions to promote and facilitate mutually beneficial community based and community engaged scholarship.
Specific activities include:
- Provide student and faculty development to promote civic responsibility, health policy skills and activism, and intercultural respect and understanding.
- Promote curricular and co-curricular activities that appropriately engage IUSD with external communities and cultivate partnerships with the potential to increase diversity in the IUSD community and the dental workforce
- Facilitate IUSD’s intercultural and international dental education program
- Monitor and report Indiana dental workforce data
- Facilitate development of Interprofessional education and community based clinical dental education in cooperation with community health center dental clinics and IU School of Medicine’s Area Health Education Centers (AHEC) Program
- Promote research that is community engaged and interdisciplinary with mutually beneficial goals
- Secure external funding to support research and other civic engagement activities
- Maintain inventories of community engaged activities and outcomes for local, state, national and international programs and disseminate information to internal and external constituencies
- Regularly assess the value of community engagement to internal and external constituencies and involve all partners in periodic evaluation of community engaged activities, continuous quality improvement and planning for future goals